VirtualBox and the USB flash drive -

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Thu Aug 1 18:54:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> On 01/08/13 12:54, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 01.08.2013 18:43, schrieb Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni:
>>> VirtualBox defaults to using the CDROM/DVD drive which is pretty worthless
>>> unless you have a supply of blanks, I
>>> don't have many on hand presently. I have been trying to make the USB
>>> function work without much success.
>>>
>>> Googling suggests group/user problems, I have bobg and root listed as
>>> vboxusers.
>>> The GUI has a USB menu which is always grayed, where I can create a
>>> filter, it recognizes the Sandisk flash drive
>>> when entered, I click on OK and nothing is saved apparently.
>>>
>>> Now I've run across something in google that suggests an entry in fstab
>>> may be required?
>>>
>>> Has any one worked through this maze who can tell me how to make it work?
>> what package?
>> USB support is simply not available for the OSE version
>>
>> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22174
>>

> Ok, I give up, wont waste any more effort on that then but it really
> diminishes the usefulness of VB!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I can read and write to a flash drive without problems.  It worked out of the box for me.  I tried to post a screenshot, but it got held up in moderation.  In the old versions of VirtualBox, USB  support was in the "guest additions" package, as I remember, but I haven't had to install that for some time.  I can't remember if you are using the virtualbox.org package or the one in the repositories, but you may have to install the exension pack.  See: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.  But I gotta say that I didn't have to do this when I installed it using apper.  It just worked out of the box.

billo