It's that time again

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 22:25:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:25:30 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 02:07 PM, David wrote:
> > On 8/1/2013 4:31 PM, Tethys wrote:
> >> So here I am, sat with an inbox full of bugs that I reported when
> >> F17 came out and now they're being closed as F17 is EOL. Once
> >> again, several of them don't appear to have even been looked over
> >> *at all* by the package maintainer. I wonder why I bother
> >> sometimes...
> >
> > Are they still active 'in' Fedora 18 or fedora 19? If yes then
> > reenter them.
> >
> > If not? Maybe you should update your version to solve your problem?
>
> I think you missed his (and my) point.  What good is it to open a bug
> report early in a version's life if the only time you get a response
> is when it's closed at EOL for that version?

Speaking hypothetically (and playing the devil's advocate a bit), the
fact that the bugreports were not responded to doesn't mean that they
were not looked at or maybe reported upstream. It can happen that the
upstream devs already knew about the bug and had a fix in a later
version, which would come with the next version of Fedora. Nobody
bothered to answer since it didn't require any further input from the
OP.

While one could consider not answering a bugreport to be a display of
bad manners, David is right that you should check if the bug is
resolved in the later versions of Fedora before getting angry about
being ignored.

HTH, :-)
Marko