I somehow managed to delete /tmp now I get errors when I try to boot and login

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 2 08:06:00 UTC 2013

Konstantin,

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 11:59 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> I somehow deleted /tmp when I was deleting files from /tmp to make room
>>
>> Now I get errors when I boot and try to login
>>
>> - There is a problem with the configuration server.
>> (/usr/libexec/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
>>
>> When I close that, I get:
>>
>> Install problem!
>> The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been
>> installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator.
>>
>> One time I saw the login options - when I logged in I only saw a black screen.
>>
>> Other than doing an install, is there a way to recover the files in /tmp?
>>
>> argh! It pays to be very careful deleting things as root!
>>
>> A lesson learned the hard way!
>>
>> Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Darlene Wallach
>> --
>> equal justice under law

I saw Reindl's reply first and his advice worked:

the folder with the correct permissions is important
/tmp needs chmod 1777 (everybody is allowed to write
but only the onwer can open his temp-files)

mkdir /tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp

I did not try your suggestion, it does look like it would work too.

> # mkdir /tmp
> # restorecon /tmp
> # reboot
>
> is probably all you need

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply to my email!

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law