It's that time again

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:55:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
> On 02.08.2013, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>
>> While one could consider not answering a bugreport to be a display of
>> bad manners
>
> It first and foremost is demotivating, which in turn results in fewer
> bug reports, which in turn results in worse software..

So why is it demotivating to some and not to others? Rather than try
to fix every bug every release and politely respond to every bug
report because none of that is ever going to happen we can think about
our expectations and the value of our reports and rather than become
demotivated take satisfaction from knowing we made a valuable
contribution regardless of whether we know anything about what
happened to it after we reported it or not.

Failure to have your expectations met leads to demotivation and the
easiest way to fix that is to change your expectations.

John