VirtualBox and the USB flash drive -

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Aug 1 21:17:09 UTC 2013

Am 01.08.2013 22:58, schrieb Bill Oliver:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 01.08.2013 21:35, schrieb Bill Oliver:
>>> I don't understand your complaint -- that there's a config directory *and* a disk directory?  I don't find that an
>>> overwhelming burden.
>>> The command "cp -R" doesn't seem to be too onerous a way to transfer stuff from machine to machine
>>
>> if you ever work with more than 20 virtual machines on serveral hosts
>> for testing, development as well as for production you will understand
>>

> Sorry, that's a pretty bullshit answer

if i would gibve such a answer the hell would freeze over again on this list....

> Apps should work for the people who use them.  You are right -- it may  be
> that there are all sorts of systems that work better for people who run ten thousand machines
> on a thousand servers

it works also better with *one* VM because you simply copy *one*
folder for a complete backup

> I don't care.  What I care about is what suits *my* needs.  And Virtualbox works great for me.  It
> usually installs with minimal hassle (current discussion notwithstanding)

i saw in the thread with vboxdrv after kernel-updates
while you type simply "vmware" as root and all kernel
modules are built, all services are started and you
are done

> don't care about what's the most elegant.  I don't care about what's the most sophisticated solution.
> I don't care about showing how technologically savvy a system administrator I am.  What I care
> about is solving a problem and moving on to more important things as quickly as I can

mee too, that is why i throw away vbox on my notebook a few years ago

> VirtualBox does that for me:
>
> 1) Download app.  check
> 2) Click on icon.  check
> 3) Put in OS disk. check
> 4) Click on icon.  check
> 5) Drink a beer. check
> 6) Watch a bearded guy dance with a raccoon on YouTube.  check.
> 7) Move on to next problem.  check.

VMware doe sexactly the same but better organized

* a virtual machine has properties
* CD/DVD drives and virtual disks are propertys
* you insert a ISO in the properties of the drive
* no delaing with a "media manager"

> Your response is a little like responding to a post by me saying that I pruned the trees in my garden, threw the
> limbs in  my little Ford Ranger and hauled the trash to the dump by arguing that a Mack Terrapro can haul 23,000
> lbs of rotting garbage, has a much sturdier transmission, an indestructable drivetrain and twin trumpet horns.
> Well, yeah.  Whatever. And if I ever have the need to haul 23,000 lbs of garbage on a regular basis, and want to
> see my dog have seizures every time I honk the horn, I'll look into one.  Until then, I'm going to throw my stuff
> in the back of my Ranger and tool on down to the landfill happy as I can be

your response sounds like someone wich never saw other virtualization than vbox
and you are pissed off that others call it crap

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk5Mw
Linux kernel developers have marked Oracle's VirtualBox Linux kernel driver as
"tainted crap" due to the overwhelming number of problems this module has caused

well, the vmware guest drivers are in the linux upstream kernel....