The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Aug 4 06:20:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

> On a side note cdrskin burned at 6X this time, not sure why...

I would guess that subtle timing effects are involved.
My workstation's USB shows similar symptoms with 16x DVD
(not on SATA, or on eSATA and USB of younger test machine).

Did you use dvd_obs=64k or stream_recording=on this time ?

> I'm assuming blu-ray video does not require defect management,
> correct?

Its use at write time would show up at read time only if
really blocks had to be replaced. Its non-use could show
up in form of bad or poorly readable blocks.

The lack of formatting is detectable. Theoretically this could
make a difference for the player's decision not to play.
But i would be very surprised if this is the reason for the
failure.

Whatever:
A cdrskin run with formatting would be triggered by option
  blank=format_if_needed
To make it fast and disable Defect Management, use additionally
  stream_recording=on

My guess is that something is still wrong with the filesystem
content or meta data.

> Trying to load the folder in VLC I get a couple of error that popup
> but it otherwise works...

Maybe one of those lets the player take offense.

> tsMuxeR will create the folder structure

Does this already wrap the folders in a UDF 2.50 filesystem ?

  http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511
talks of ISO rather than UDF.

  http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/284836-Basic-Guide-for-HDV-to-Blu-Ray
chooses UDF 2.50 in Nero Linux.

So i get the impression that tsMuxeR does not do UDF by itself.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas