Do I need avahi?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 12:50:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 10:31:34 +0200
"Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se> wrote:

> On 08/04/2013 10:16 AM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> > On 07/31/2013 05:15 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >> You are confusing the avahi library with the avahi daemon. The
> >> daemon
> >> I see no further point in discussing this thread. The avahi
> >> service is not a dependency on anything serious and you can safely
> >> remove it if you don't want to use it.
>  >
> > No, you can not remove it (the avahi-daemon package named avahi)
> > with yum due to dependencies.
>
> I have now tried it on two other computers, with the exact same
> result. So Marko, it is not PEBKAC. Try 'yum erase avahi' yourself.

I did, and it only wanted to remove wine packages as dependencies.
However, this was on F18, rather than F19.

If this yum output is reproducible on F19, then I suggest
that you file a bug against avahi (or maybe avahi-glib and avahi-libs)
and complain against unnecessary dependencies. And do emphasize
there that this is a regression from F18, which doesn't have that
problem.

I'd be interested to follow-up on that bugreport, so please post a link
to it here.

Best, :-)
Marko