phone no longer mounts over usb

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 10:09:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 10:28 +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Samsong phone. I used to mount it as Mass Storage (selected on the
> phone) over the micro usb connection, to copy files to/from.
>
> Starting with kernel 3.10.3-300.fc19.x86_64, and continuing with kernel
> 3.10.4-300.fc19.x86_64 this no longer works.
>
> Relevant snippets from /var/log/messages under both kernels attached.
>
> I will bugzilla, but I wish to know whether anyone else has seen this change
> of behavior.

Presumably this is Android, but which version? If it's 4.x, stock
Android doesn't support direct mass storage access (unless you root it).
This has been the case for over a year and is unrelated to the Linux
kernel on your machine. You're supposed to use MTP, for which there are
several apps in the Fedora repos, e.g. simple-mtpfs. Just don't expect
it to be a substitute for a real filesystem (no random access for one
thing).

Or use wireless access via FTP, SSH, Rsync etc., for which there are
apps in the Google Play Store.

poc