copying video dvds

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 7 01:29:56 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 07:44 PM, Greg Woodbury wrote:
<<>>

> DVD and BlueRay disks are inherently "digital data" devices with
> the contents contained in files that are named according to strict
> standards.  (This is very unlike audio CDs.)

this is true. yet, saying dvd distinguishes cd from dvd. plus, i would
use *optical disc storage medium* instead of _devices_ for better
description, and call what they are accessed in _devices_. :=)

> There are a huge variety of wasy that manufacturers of DVD/BR discs
> use to try and prevent "unauthorized" copying of their products.  The
> most common is the dvdcss encryption of file contents.  Some try
> encrypting even the file names, and several use intentional errors in
> unused files or parts of discs.

very true.

> dd-rescue is just one of many alternative commands to allow copying of
> such discs.

agreed. i have 3 different releases of dd-rescue that i will be using
to try to recover boot tracks of 3 hdd's that that an attempted install
of fedora 17 corrupted when i tried to install it. format instructions
where pp, to be terse.

i did make a 'dd' of each hdd's boot track. problem is that i was
distracted before i copied them off to usb memory. and did not. :=(

i also have releases of sysrescuecd, photorec, and another recovery
prog that idnrc at this time.

if you have some advice on such, i would greatly appreciate.

you can write me _off_list_ or start a _new_thread_ so as not to ravel
this thread.

later.

--

peace out.