Was Mate desktop, ten caja instances. Now Nouveau

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 09:41:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:17:25 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> vdpau and XvMC
>
> When nouveau support them, I'll reconsider.  Buts its been years now,
> and still no support for them in nouveau.

The development of XvMC and vdpau support is in progress right now ---
take a look at

   http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

and specifically

   http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

The latter site comments that at the moment closed-source firmware is
typically needed for modern hardware. While nouveau itself refuses to
include it (and I can imagine Fedora too), it can be obtained either
manually or if your particular Linux distro provides it as a package.
There is a single-entry list of distros that do so far: Archlinux.

Maybe a nice small project for a rpmfusion package?

HTH, :-)
Marko