"Enable JavaScript" preference checkbox has been removed in Firefox

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Aug 10 13:53:03 UTC 2013

Am 10.08.2013 15:43, schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:57:15AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> They really downplay the extra security risk of enabling javascript.
>> And they really are placing the blame in the wrong place, very few
>> web sites really need to require javascript. It would have been
>> nicer to see Mozilla push back against sites requiring javascript to
>> function rather than to make it harder for people to reduce their
>> risk of getting owned.
>
> This ship has sailed. In fact, it has sailed out of the harbor, across the
> ocean, to the remote isles, and brought back a collection of valuable trade
> goods. The web today depends on Javascript, and client-side scripting brings
> so much of what makes it actually useful that the idea of going back to
> entirely server-based scripting is a non-starter.

who needs to going back?

smart people never built websites which are unuseable without JS
JS is nice for additional features and comfort but only a fool
builds a ordinary website which doe snot work without JS

> The security answer here isn't going back to the web of the 90s. It's using
> modern container and security policy systems to contain the risk

no policy will help you in case of a hacked server blowing exploits
to visitors and this happens all day somewhere else

as well as you missed the point that the question is not what is useful or not
because this is not your or mine decision - it is always the *endusers* decision
and making it each day harder because all the new shiny developers seems to having
nothing to do as remove options and hide settings because they thinhk all users
are idiots

cause and effect: because these attitude most users starting in
a few years from scratch to use computers will be idiots in case
of how to handle computers because they never got the chance to
learn - hence with this attitude i would never became the poweruser
i am now and never had done the switch to work as IT professional
while my whole knowledge is from learning by doing

this attitude is understandable in case of Apple/Microsoft which
try to reduce their support but it is *unacepptable* in the
context of free and open software