Troubleshooting the network connection speed

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:41:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:55:44 -0400
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 01:09:09PM +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >
> > Another test of the local link --- I went to
> >
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
> >
> > and clicked the big blue "download now" button, to download the Live
> > Desktop .iso --- the download manager in Firefox says it will
> > complete it in 17 hours, since it is downloading at 15 KBps (i.e.
> > 150 Kbps). This is of course ridiculously slow, for a 20Mbps link.
>
> I wouldn't necessarily trust the timing of this particular test. the
> result would depend on what's between you and there, and how busy that
> server (farm???) is. If you try a bittorrent download, you might get
> better numbers because you're spreading out the load over several
> different source machines/networks.

Ok, I just started downloading Fedora 19 DVD iso via torrent, and
ktorrent reports the following:

download time: 5min
seeders/leechers: 78/2
download speed: oscillating around 20KBps (i.e. 200kbps, also confirmed
by jnettop)

Looking at the peer list, I see cca 15-20 active seeders, each sending
me on average 1KiBps. The "strongest" one gives me 3.64KiBps, and it
goes down from there. Time left for a 4GB iso is 3 days and 2
hours at this speed, estimated by ktorrent.

So torrent appears to be 10 times slower than wget, which is in turn 10
times slower that what should be my full bandwidth.

Please note that my full bandwidth *used to work* until several days
ago, when I started experiencing these large slowdowns.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko