copying video dvds

smcg4191 at frii.com smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Aug 14 16:39:00 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 06:24 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 08:19 PM, smcg4191 at frii.com wrote:
>> Is there some way or tool that will make a copy of the dvd
>> using (or at last preserving in the copy so that vlc can use)
>
> Install "dvdbackup" and use it like this:
>
> dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -o ~ -M
>
> I had the exact same problem a week ago and this really nailed it

Sorry for the late reply.  Thanks for this suggestion
and to the other replies (dd, dd-rescue et.al.)

Turns out I was wrong when I said the original dvd played
ok -- it only plays up to halfway through and then the
player hangs or crashes.  And trying to copy with either
dvdbackup or dd resulted in lots of errors and similar
problems playing the copy.

But all the suggestions and info will be useful in the
future.