Windows XP security in VMware -

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Aug 13 16:06:06 UTC 2013

Am 13.08.2013 18:00, schrieb Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni:

> If I run WindowsXP in a VM am I looking at Windows security risks? I have whatever protection Fedora 19 delivers
> out of the box and my DD-WRT router. I am still uneasy booting Windows ... There are no Windows boxes on my LAN,
> only Apple stuff in addition to mine
>
> Comments?

yes: stop to think a virtual machine is anything different
than a physical install, if you have a unpatched security
hole in your virtual windows it get's the same way infected
by doing the same as any other windows

and with a virtual machine running Windows *you have* a windows
in your LAN and most likely it has more ports to your host
open as you would have on the LAN, at least older versions
of VMware Workstation where treatet as coming from localhost
by iptables, in never versions the connections are coming
from the virtual NAT address and can be filtered seperatly