Fedora to Android

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 15 10:59:09 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 11:30 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> I'd like to transfer a directory of personal information
>>> (not just contacts) from my Fedora-19/KDE laptop
>>> to my Samsung Galaxy S2 android phone.
>>> What is the best way currently to do this?
>
>>> I'd prefer if possible to use rsync.
>
>> Like I said in reply to another similar mail before, I am using SSHelper
>> for exactly this kind of jobs (rsync).
>
> I tried the various suggestions I received,
> but SSHelper seemed easily the best.
> It is rather awkward to install -
Not for me. I installed it the normal way via Play Store.

> it does not seem to appear in (Google) Play Store on my phone,
It does so on my phone's (Galaxy S2+/Android 4.2.2), my wife's phone's
(Galaxy S2+/Android 4.1.2) and our "low-end couch-surfing tablet" (Acer
Iconia B1-A71/Android 4.1.2) play store.

> but I followed the installation (and other) instructions at
> <http://arachnoid.com/android/SSHelper/>.

> Now I have a very clear view of the filesystem on my phone,
> and I can edit and add files on the phone from my Fedora laptop.

I am using SSHelper primarily to ssh and rsync from my fedora boxes into
the android devices via WLAN/WiFi. Works without any problems. The
built-in vi also seems to work via ssh, but I haven't really used it, yet.

> The only thing I am missing is a method to read and edit files
> on the phone.
> If I click on the Terminal icon in SSHelper I get the message
>    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> which I don't understand.
I am seeing the same. The terminal doesn't work for me, either.

> Is there a standard way to turn job control on?
>
> Has anyone a favourite app for reading/editing text files
> on an Android phone?

Ralf