Problem with udev and ethX naming in latest Fedora 19.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Aug 15 14:05:25 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 06:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> I have ifcfg-eth0 defined with proper HWADDR, and still that physical port
>> is not always called eth0 when the system boots.  I do not have the other
>> NICs defined in ifcfg-ethX files
>
> and you did read what i said?
>
> *consider rename them to lan0, lan1, lan2, lan3 to avoid the race-condition kernel-naming / renaming *

Yes, and I considered it, but I do not want my networks named like that.  I've
been using ethX in my application and products for more than a decade, and do
not want to change the naming scheme if at all possible.

> with 4 NIC's this was never predictable and mostly luck
> the only stupid thing is that this this new crap names also appear
> if there is only one NIC or at least only identical ones with
> the same driver what makes race-conditions unlikely

I understand why the names come up jumbled on bootup, but there is no excuse
for udev not being able to properly rename them as requested.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>