Sound problem on fc 19 - xmms no longer can play

William W. Austin airedad at att.net
Thu Aug 15 17:44:10 UTC 2013

Last weekend I did a clean install of Fedora 19 on my main workstation
replacing fc17 which had been there. (As I  usually do, I pulled the
drive containing /, /tmp, /var, and swap and replaced it there.  That
drive is in another machine and I can compare the diffs.)

Suddenly although alsaplayer works just fine, xmms cannot play anything.
When I attempt to run xmms, I get a show-box with the error message:

"Please check that

Your soundcard is configured properly
You have the correct output plugin selected
No other program is blocking the soundcard"

I've done that and the card is configured correctly, and the correct
output plugin is selected - and no other program that I can find is
blocking the card.

I've even gone so far as to do a "yum remove pulseaudio" (which worked
just fine to solve this same problem up through at least fc17), but that
didn't help either.  So I suspect that something else is going on here.

lsof doesn't show anything holding any of the sound devices open.
The rpms all verify correctly

root gets the same result as a non-privileged user.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  - Bill
william w. austin                                     airedad at att.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."`