Fedora to Android

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sat Aug 17 08:21:41 UTC 2013

Craig White wrote:

>> The only thing I am missing is a method to read and edit files
>> on the phone.
>> If I click on the Terminal icon in SSHelper I get the message
>>   sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>> which I don't understand.
>> Is there a standard way to turn job control on?

> do you have to root your phone to be able to use that feature?

I asked the author of SSHelper, but got the rather bizarre reply
that I didn't need to turn it on, as I am the only user.
Unfortunately he did not say how to use the Terminal facility
in SSHelper, which does not allow input after the above warning.

>> Has anyone a favourite app for reading/editing text files
>> on an Android phone?
> ----
> I have QuickOffice Pro that I bought on a cheap sale but I don't use it
> much. I think it is useful for editing files on SD card or in the
> simulated SD card space on built-in memory but otherwise a no-go if the
> phone isn't rooted and even then, you would probably need super-su app
> to give editing permissions.

But I have no problem editing files on the phone
after ssh-ing in from my laptop,
so I don't think there can be any permissions problem.
I just don't have any way of doing this directly on the phone.
I don't even have any way of reading text files on the phone.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net