HD to SSD question.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Aug 18 22:30:45 UTC 2013

On 18 Aug 2013 at 22:57, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:57:09 +0200
From:           	"Erik P. Olsen" <epodata at gmail.com>
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	HD to SSD question.
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

> I plan to swap the HD on my laptop with an SSD of same size. Will it
> work OK if I dd the HD to an external HD, swap the HD with the SSD and
> dd the contents back to the SSD? I believe I can use knoppix to the
> process.

As another response has already stated make sure the SSD disk
is as large or larger, just because they say are the same size may
be slightly different.

The only other issue that might cause an issue if the SSD disk
requires any driver that isn't in the initrd. Long ago, I changed a
machine from IDE to SATA disk, and the disk would boot since
the SATA controller wasn't in the original initrd.  Don't think that
would be an issue here, since it is the same controller.

I'm the maintainer of the G4L project, which also has options to
backup and/or clone disks. I even add it to my grub boot menu to
be able to image without need of a live cd.

I've added it to the grub by using 40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.
Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful
not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry G4L {
	linux /bz3x10.7 ramdisk_size=131072 root=/dev/ram0
telnetd=yes
	initrd /ramdisk.lzma
}

The kernel file and ramdisk.lzma file are also copied to the boot
directory.

> --
> Erik
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        15779543.197576   |   EINSTEIN    12864951.989852
ROSETTA      8254232.745942   |   ABC         16262263.807792