HDA jack retasking

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 05:10:26 UTC 2013

On 08/18/2013 08:23 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Raman Gupta <rocketraman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have Intel HDA Audio on my motherboard (Asus P9X79 PRO). This
>> chipset has the capability to retask jacks for another purpose, for
>> example changing a line out jack to a headphone jack.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully retasked an audio jack (specifically, on my
>> motherboard, the blue Line Out jack) to a headphone?
>>
>> I found a post on pulseaudio-discuss re. this hda-jack-retask program
>> which seems to imply it can be done, but it didn't seem to work (I
>> didn't try every available combination however):
>
> Did you try the version of this that is now included in the "alsa-tools" package
> in Fedora?  It's called "hdajackretask", without the dashes.  According to the
> changelog in that Ubuntu package, the alsa-tools version and the Ubuntu PPA
> version are now identical.

Good find. I didn't realize alsa-tools now included this.

> The alsa-tools version works for me, but only if I use the "Install boot
> override" function and reboot.  The "Apply now" function appears to do nothing,
> as far as I can tell.  :-(

Ok, the reboot worked to retask the jack here as well! Excellent.

> Thanks for pointing out this exists BTW.  Even just having this work on reboot
> is pretty useful to me.  :-)

Glad we could help each other.

Next problem: getting PulseAudio to recognize that I have both
headphones plugged in (to the retasked jack) as well as regular
speakers, and switch between them at command.

PulseAudio shows two output Ports: "Analog Output" as well as
"Headphones", but both ports output to my headphones. Without the
retasking, both ports output to my speakers. Frustrating.

Regards,
Raman