BASH and wildcard expansion

Mark Haney mark.haney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:51:06 UTC 2013

I can (and am) using the date command in a variable.  But, the filename is
not just backup-08-18-2013.zip, which isn't a problem to do.  The problem
is the filename is variable /outside/ the date.  For example:
backup-08-18-2013--1215.zip.  I can VAR the date parts, but that '1215'
part I need to wildcard.  Does that make more sense?

It's really a non-issue now, I've just used find, since it expands
wildcards without a lot of effort involved.

 Thanks, guys. (NO sarcasm intended.)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 08/19/2013 12:15 PM, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> How can I do that in a bash script.  I can probably use find, but this
>> seems much simpler and/or quicker than finding one file.
>>

> Are you looking for files with today's date, or with a specific date? In
> the former case, you can use the date command to put today's date into a
> variable and dissect it; in the latter, you can put the desired date, in
> the proper format, on the command line.  And, if you're comfortable with
> perl, you might want to use it for the date manipulation.
>
> --

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant