Something simple re: a new partition under lvm.

Bill Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Aug 20 02:59:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 20:15 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> I think there are some conceptual issues that you should understand
> and I do not feel you are clear on them yet. (Or maybe I am the one
> not clear)
>
> First of all, there is no "last 50Gb" on a LLV scheme. When you create
> and use LLV, you are surrendering disk management to the LLV manager
> in exchange of the flexibility it provides handling the disk. Whatever
> data you send to the LLV volume, the manager will place where it feels
> most convenient.
> Second, if you want a 50G "partition" you need to create a second
> volume group to hold those backups, separate from the main volume.
> Again, there is no guarantee of where in the disk this data would
> reside unless you first created a 50GB partition at the end of the
> drive, and created a volume in there with vgcreate and added it to the
> physical volume, but geese, that sounds like all the work we were
> originally trying to avoid :-)
> Finally, are you taking into consideration that whatever managed to
> trash your filesystem under LLV will most likely trash your backups if
> they are under the same LLV structure?
>
> My 2 cents
>
> On Aug 19, 2013 4:03 PM, "Alasdair G Kergon" <agk at redhat.com> wrote:
>         On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:59:46PM +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz
>         wrote:
>         > pvscan, pvscreate, vgscan, vgcreate, lvscan, lvcreate
>
>         These days, vgcreate followed by lvcreate is sufficient.
>
>         - vgcreate automatically performs pvcreate if it needs to
>         - scans shouldn't normally be needed
>
>         Alasdair
>
>         --
>         Fedora Code of Conduct:
>         http://fedoraproject.org/code-of-conduct
>         Guidelines:
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>         Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

I fully admit that I don't understand most of lvm and have considered it
a nuisance for my home system.  Ten years ago I spent a great deal of
time learning about partitioning and became quite familiar with parted
and friends.  Now at seventy years of age I carefully pick my study
projects.  LVM was not on the list.

It turns out I didn't need lvm lessons.  I booted onto my old disk and
Fedora 16, fired up gparted, found that this time anaconda had not
arbitrarily installed LVM; from parted I added my back up partition with
out a hitch.

I apologize for disturbing you guys with a non-problem.
--
Regards William Case,
Fedora 19, Gnome 3.8.4,