Twitter for Thunderbird or Linux in general

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 20 16:07:54 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 05:58 PM, Martin S wrote:
> Patrick Lists:
>> On 08/20/2013 09:42 AM, Martin S wrote:
>>> After the "recent" changes to Twitter API "half" of the Linux twitter
>>> clients died horribly (can't log in) as they don't seem to support the
>>> 1.1 API.
>>> I wouldn't normally bother but our organisation has been "strongly
>>> encouraged" to monitor twitter so we can act on stuff posted there.
>>> Any suggestions of some piece of software for either Thunderbird or
>>> Linux in general?
>>
>> Thunderbird 17 has built-in support for Twitter in the Chat section.
>> Just add a new account and select Twitter.
>
> Why, so it does! Wasn't aware of that.
> Its fugly, but might do the trick. I'll check out the other options
> mentioned as well.

Forgot, there's also hotot (hotot-gtk and hotot-qt) which works with the
1.1 API. Besides HootSuite mentioned by Steven there is also TweetDeck
(the app) but it only runs on Win/Mac. If you use Chrome then you can
install the TweetDeck extension which (afaik) also works on Linux.
Chrome also has another twitter extension. And there are several twitter
extensions for Firefox which also works on Linux.

Regards,
Patrick