Mouse button debouncing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 20 16:44:15 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 20 August 2013, Patrick O'Callaghan sent:
> I bought this a few years ago and it was fine at first, but then
> developed a fault in the left button (i.e. it wouldn't click at all).
> I took it apart and stared at it in a menacing fashion, put it back
> together and it started working until the double-click problem
> appeared. So it's definitely a faulty unit.

In that case, there's several potential approaches:

Resolder the switches, and any connections to nearby tracks.

Replace the microswitches.  Cannibalise a mouse you don't like to
resurrect the one you do.  Real clicky microswitches are quite reliable,
crappy little membrane keyboard push buttons are not.

Get a can of electrical contact spray from an electronics shop, spray
into a gap somewhere in the switch body, then jiggle the switch button.
Do the same for plugs and sockets on the mouse's circuit board.

Electrical contact spray does wonders for all sorts of unreliable
mechanical/electrical issues, and it's probably the easiest solution for
those who don't do soldering.  Don't use WD40 or RP7 type of sprays,
they're corrosive, and the fault will come back worse and worse.  Not to
mention that they stink, for ever more after being sprayed, and heck
knows what that stuff does for your health.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.