user creation during installation

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 05:26:40 UTC 2013

In the end, I told it not to "Create  a home directory", but to DO create
the user.

Guess what, when I logged as root, the home directory was already assigned
as $HOME for the user on the Users and Groups appp regardless. I was
expecting having to go to the "Users and Gropups" app and add the directory
manually, but I was gladly surprised to see it already assigned. Weird

JP

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 20 August 2013, Javier Perez sent:
> > I have a directory on its own /home partition
> >
> > /home/username
> >
> > During installation it ask to set an Administrator user.
> > One of the options is "Create a home directory for this user"
> >
> > What happens here if the directory already exist, will it be erased?
> > Or will the installer use the existing directory?
>
> In a situation like that, I'd be inclined to create a completely new
> user, then deal with adding an old user, post-install.  You've got a
> much easier time testing how things will behave when working with a
> running system.  And having a new, spare, user logon to do any debugging
> on a system is very handy, anyway.
>
> But I can't imagine a setup deleting an already existing homespace, it'd
> be a really dumb way of handling user accounts.  Having said that, being
> asked to "create a home directory" is a bit odd, too.  And I can imagine
> the possibility of setting up a new user in a prior user's files might
> have the chance of installing a few default files over the top of
> existing ones, ones that might have been customised.
>
> All that sort of things goes to show why it can be useful to set up a
> completely different user, then experiment with the account editor on a
> running system, rather than one that's in the process of installing.
> You've got more chance to poke around and try things, without facing the
> prospect of the install doing something you don't like, without finding
> out until it's too late.  Or having to restart the install several times
> over, trying out different options.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
> Linux 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 14 01:31:27 UTC 2013 x86_64
>
> All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point
> trying to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the
> public lists.
>
> George Orwell's '1984' was supposed to be a warning against tyranny, not
> a set of instructions for supposedly democratic governments.
>

> --

 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at gmail.com
 ~~~~     Javier Perez