HD to SSD question.

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 15:37:15 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 11:15 PM, ergodic wrote:
> Caveat.
>
> The UUIDs of the newly partitioned drive will most probably be different
> from those of the original drive which can create problems with the booting
> and swap partitions. Check the /etc/fstab file to see what UUIDs the OS is
> using.

agreed. I forgot to mention the UUID problem. In the migration scheme I
discribed, I use either Labels (which I will deliberately make the same) or LV
(which won't change, or if it will, I update fstab accordingly.

> [...]
> partition, eg. /dev/sda1) or: sudo blkid
>
> To assign a given UUID to a drive/partition use the command tune2fs eg.
>
> sudo tune2fs /dev/sdb4 -U f0acce91-a416-474c-8a8c-43f3ed3768f9
>
> This command will change the UUID of /dev/sdb4 to
> "f0acce91-a416-474c-8a8c-43f3ed3768f9"
>
> Also try the command dcfldd it is an improved dd.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- On 08/19/2013 04:57 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I plan to swap the HD on my laptop with an SSD of same size. Will it
>> work OK if I dd the HD to an external HD, swap the HD with the SSD and dd
>> the contents back to the SSD? I believe I can use knoppix to the
>> process.
>

> it would be safer to create your partitions, and then dd them (the
> partitions) one by one from one place to the other (or use backup storage
> in between).
>
> examples:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1024000
>
> with backup storage (in this case a file -- probably very large)
>
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/junk/sda1 bs=1024000 dd if=/junk/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
> bs=1024000
>
> Thinks to keep in mind:
>
> large bs will make the copy faster. multiples of 1024 are good in that the
> layout on the disk (at the block layer) will be 1024.
>
> the destination partition needs to be same size or larger. This will NOT
> work if the destination is smaller. In that case resize the source
> partition to be the same size or smaller before the dd. If you DO need to
> do this, then you will need to compute bs= / size= so that they match (or
> slightly exceed) the filesystem size, since the dd would (by default) copy
> the entire partition.
>
> Once the copy is complete do a resizefs on it to expand the filesize to
> the new partition size.
>
> Note that the swap partition should just be recreated (mkswap) instead of
> copied. This is especially true if the new swap partition is a different
> size.
>
> This method can also be used to copy file systems from a partition to an lv
> (a "logical" partition, if you will) or vice versa.
>
> ===
>
> I use this method all the time whenever I am migrating to a new (larger)
> disk with larger partitions.
>
> I create the new partition table (with same or larger sized partitions)
> and then I dd from the old to the new (placing the new disk in an external
> usb casing).
>
> Swap disks, boot into a rescue disk, re-write my mbr, and i'm done.
>
> one last thing...
>
> The source partition should be unmounted. If a mounted partition is being
> copied, then the result (destination) is that mounted partition. As boot
> time, it will need to be fsck. Any open files will be in whatever state
> they were in when they were copied. Hence, all files should be closed.
>
> When I do the above mentioned migration, I boot into single user mode and
> then do my dd. no services running, no user space stuff editing/creating

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler at redhat.com    |