user creation during installation

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Aug 22 03:17:05 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 05:03 PM, Temlakos wrote:
> The new method, that creates a new non-super user, with Wheel
> privileges, has been a part of Fedora since at least F17.
>
> The idea is to make logging-in as root...obsolete. I gather most
> developers think it's too dangerous--leaves your system wide-open.

Personally, I prefer not to have wheel because I've been using the root
password for admin reasons ever since I started using Linux.  The one
time I tried having wheel, I was a tad confused because it was asking
for my password, not root's, and as soon as I understood what was
happening, I took myself out of wheel.  I presume that it's still
possible to install that way, or at least to set a root password either
at install, or once you're logged in.  (Needing to use sudo for that may
be a problem, because I'm in the habit of customizing my install and
making sure that sudo isn't included because I normally have no use for
it.)  And, as I've lots of experience needing/using root, I've also
developed the proper habits of being cautious when working as root, and
dropping back out of it as soon as appropriate.

I can see the developer's point, however, especially if they're not
expecting the average Fedora user to have the experience to use root
judiciously.