Video is slow

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Aug 26 07:47:01 UTC 2013

On 08/26/2013 12:20 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> * Any of the remaining stuff about PAE kernels, selinux policies, grub
>    tweaking and manually blacklisting nouveau should be frown upon. Not
>    only that those things are not necessary for the installation of the
>    driver, but moreover they can be downright dangerous if handled by
>    a newbie.

My current desktop uses a PAE kernel, and I presume that it needs a PAE
kmod as well.  Currently, yum may bring in the appropriate version, but
it probably didn't when that was written.  And, I, at least, see no harm
in being specific.

> There is one more thing regarding the dracut stuff --- aside from the
> fact that it is completely unnecessary since kmod-nvidia will already
> do it by itself, doing it like this:
>
> mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname
> -r)-nouveau.img
> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> literally means asking for trouble. The mv command is almost
> instantaneous, while the dracut command will take a good several
> minutes to complete. In that sense, during the period after you have
> renamed a valid initramfs file to some name that grub will not know to
> look for, and before dracut has completed the new file, you do not have
> a bootable machine, since there is no initramfs file for grub to
> fallback on if something goes wrong.

You can always use the Grub menu to boot into an earlier kernel, remove
the newer kernel and reinstall it to rebuild initramfs.  Or, even
easier, edit the line in the kernel's stanza at boot time to look for
the old image.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that you're looking for
problems that don't exist, but I see no reason to argue with you.  You
do it whatever way you want and I'll do it as those instructions tell me
to because I know that they work.

Of course, I'm probably not the best person to ask about how much risk
is too much in something like this.  Most people don't consider cleaning
up after a hung upgrade to be a minor, unpleasant and tedious chore,
rather than a major disaster.  And, to be fair, most people don't have
the time to dedicate to it because unlike me, they're not retired and
have day jobs taking up most of their time.