MATE desktop

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Aug 26 13:59:07 UTC 2013

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net <mailto:hlhowell at pacbell.net>> wrote:
>
>     What is the key to getting MATE installed and run on a user?
>

> sudo yum groupinstall "MATE  Desktop"
>
>     Will the GNOME3 version of Evolution, Firefox, etc all run?
>

> Should do, but it's easier just to try it. If you don't like it, you can switch desktops from the login screen.

One thing I noticed, 'gdm' appears to use gnome-shell, so if you have a system w/out
accelerated graphics, your CPU will still be eaten by gnome-shell even if you log into
MATE.

I ended up removing gnome-shell (and gdm, etc) and then just start mate via startx
from the equiv of runlevel 3.

Thanks,
Ben

--