MATE desktop

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Aug 26 16:25:30 UTC 2013

On 08/26/2013 08:28 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>     One thing I noticed, 'gdm' appears to use gnome-shell, so if you have a system w/out
>     accelerated graphics, your CPU will still be eaten by gnome-shell even if you log into
>     MATE.
>

> Is that an actual experience or are you speculating?

Actual experience...I cannot actually get standard F19 live cd to install
on a dual-core Atom with some appliance-grade video card on it.

We got one system to go by re-nicing gnome-shell to +20, but second time
I tried that it seemed live-locked or something and would not complete software.

On high-end server system, the gnome-shell still eats CPU, but the CPU is strong
enough to handle it.  It was on these systems that I noticed gnome-shell
still sucking CPU after using gdm to launch mate.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>