F19: Wireless not working - dhclient not running?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Aug 26 18:39:57 UTC 2013

Hello,

Updated from F17 to F19 with a fresh install, and have hit a few
problems. The main one is that my wireless interface does not come up
(it is an Atheros AR9170 device).

I configured it in F17 without NetworkManager by modifying
the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (with NM_CONTROLLED=no)
and /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant files. This worked fine, no problems
at all.

With F19, after making the same changes, the wlan0 interface appears but
is not assigned an IP address. It seems that wpa_supplicant works okay,
as does the general startup of the network (the loopback interface
appears okay), but running dhclient to get an IP address either does not
happen or fails. 'ps auxww' does not show dhclient as running. I can
find no errors in the log files.
If I run 'ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0' then the interface comes up with
an IP address (and this is recorded in the log file and ps shows
dhclient as now running).

Anyone any ideas why dhclient might not be running? I'll keep working on
this (obviously), but have already spent most of the day on it and got
nowhere.

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001