Reinstall over LVM

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 27 11:34:46 UTC 2013

On 27/08/13 18:36, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 12:02 PM, Roger wrote:

>>> You had said that you need to re-install F19. That usually means you
>>> want to re-install all the packages that come with the Operating System,
>>> and the best accompaniment to that is re-formatting the root filesystem.
>>> Just re-formatting the '/boot'/ and 'swap' partitions during re-install
>>> of the Operating System may have different end results depending on what
>>> packages you choose during the re-install.
>>>
>>> So the question now arises on why you need to re-install Fedora. Would
>>> your objective be attained with just re-installing packages that you
>>> have some issues with ? Also, the user specific customisations of most
>>> of the applications reside as dot files in the user's home directory, so
>>> re-formatting the root filesystem, and re-installing all the
>>> applications will not impact those customisations, as long as you do not
>>> reformat the home partition. On the other hand, if you are running any
>>> servers, you may need to backup their configuration files before the
>>> re-install, and put them back in after.
>>>
>> My problem is the /boot partition. it is empty.
>> I was installing the nvidia driver following some instructions and right
>> at the last instant made an error so while everything is really in it's
>> place, the system is useless.
>> No servers, it's a home desktop development system.
>> Roger
>>
> If it is just the '/boot' partition, you could probably copy over the
> contents from a similar system, regenerate grub config file, and
> re-install grub stage 1 if required.
>
> Or you could boot into rescue mode from ISO, have partitions mounted,
> chroot to installed system filesystems, and reinstall associated
> packages - like kernel, grub2, grub2-tools ...pretty hard way...
>
> I have not tried out either methods, so cannot guarantee they will work. ;-)
>
> What I know will work is - take back-up of '/home' and wherever you have
> data, reinstall entire OS without re-formatting '/home'. Put back any
> data missing :-)
>
> Best way would have been to take back-ups before tinkering with the
> '/boot' filesystem. But it is easier to see that in hind-sight....

Thanks Rejy I have just done complete backups of everything using
Ubuntu, Its been a lifesaver running 2 or more operating systems.
Tomorrow I'll get into the installation.
Puzzling thing I just noticed. I did a fresh install on that Fed18
partition months ago and it has used all available space, 53 gig for
root and 43 gig for /home.
Might delete the lot and start over.
Cheers
Roger