Another amusing bug

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:37:53 UTC 2013

On 27 August 2013 16:40, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:02:10 +0300 (EEST)
> Gabriel VLASIU wrote:
>
>> > Meanwhile, I still can't find out what the heck the
>> > mei module is actually good for.
>> linux-3.10/Documentation/misc-devices/mei/mei.txt
>
> That was the first thing I read. It is an interesting
> collection of apparently well formed sentences, but if anyone
> can deduce what the module is useful for by reading it
> they have a better deductor than I do :-).

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/misc-devices/mei/mei.txt
The writing does seems a little obfuscated, but...

So far as I can see it enables you to make the same requests locally
as remotely, For some things that's clearly not useful (subscribing to
hang events), but it also enables the AMT to be configured locally. I
suppose you might have a kickstart or similar that could configure it
the way you wanted. Without further reading on AMT I'd hope there is
some kind of authentication required for the remote access for
example, and you might want to configure that.

Additionally there's this:
2) Intel MEI driver - connects to the watchdog feature, configures the
  watchdog and sends the heartbeats.
Where the driver module is part of the hang detection on the principle
that if it stops sending these heartbeats something has gone wrong.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk