F19 not able to boot by UUID

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 20:14:14 UTC 2013

On Aug 27, 2013 5:08 AM, "Mark Haney" <MHaney at practichem.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I've had this problem with Fedora since I got this netbook, and
have been able to fix it until F19 came along.  Here's my problem, for
whatever reason the system can see the HDD and install just fine on my
Gateway (Samsung) netbook but won't boot after install using the UUID.
With F16 and 17 I could do this at the GRUB prompt to fix the boot issue:

> set prefix=(hd0,5)/boot/grub
> set root=(hd0,1)
> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro
> initrd /initrd.img
> boot
>
> I FUBAR'd my system by upgrading from 17 to 18 using fedup.  The upgrade
boot option bombed and dropped into dracut.  At the time, I didn't have a
need to investigate and when F19 was released I had hoped the problem would
be fixed and upgraded to it from the bastardized F17/18 system.  Still no
go.

> So, I blew away that partition and installed F19 fresh.  It still drops
to dracut with the error 'UUID does not exist'.  I rather expected to be
able to use the commands above to fix that but obviously the boot process
isn't the same now as I'm getting '/boot/grub/i386-pc/linux.mod not found'
when I enter lines 3 and 4 above.

> What can I do to fix this?

Since you "blew out (the) partition" once, and presumably have nothing
important on it, my uneducated guess would be to reformat it and try again
- since formatting is supposed to remove everything. Way before this, I
might call a dracut command to correct the problem.