MATE desktop

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 17:25:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:41:49PM +0200, Mihai T. Lazarescu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:20:39PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. reboot normally.
> > >
> > >    Result: gnome-shell is started at the login screen:
> > >
> > >     ps axuww | grep -w gdm
> >
> > Did you login to Gnome?  If so, of course gnome-shell will
> > be started.  I tested on my F19 server with WindowMaker,
> > there was no gnome-shell process after login.
>
> As I mentioned in a previous email, I use MATE and, as you,
> I have no gnome-shell after login.

Okay, we are on the same page then.

> In that message I also said that I will test if gnome-shell
> is started *for* the login screen, which would be consistent
> with the original report.  That was my test 1: before actual
> login and start of a session.

You mean before you login, at the gdm greeter, gnome-shell is already
running?  Okay, I see what you mean.  I can verify that:

# init 5
# ps -ef | grep shell
gdm       2808  2709  4 19:19 ?        00:00:00 gnome-shell --mode=gdm

However this is easily worked around by the method I outlined in my
earlier message.  Just edit the session file to look like the fallback
mode.

> For low-end systems it can also be worth switching to XDM:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDM_(display_manager)
>
>     yum info xorg-x11-xdm
>     Description : X.Org X11 xdm - X Display Manager

There are other problems with XDM.  As far as I know, it has problems
dealing with dual displays (I think it borks when they are not the same
size); and some accesibility, and power management problems.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu