Reinstall over LVM

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 29 08:18:44 UTC 2013

<snip>
Is it possible to do a re installation of Fedora 19 where the file
system is LVM on a 2nd partition on my hard drive without losing files
in the /home directory structure?
There was a discussion about this some time ago but I didn't take much
notice then.
TIA
Roger
  <snip snip>
If it is just the '/boot' partition, you could probably copy over the
contents from a similar system, regenerate grub config file, and
re-install grub stage 1 if required.

Or you could boot into rescue mode from ISO, have partitions mounted,
chroot to installed system filesystems, and reinstall associated
packages - like kernel, grub2, grub2-tools ...pretty hard way...

I have not tried out either methods, so cannot guarantee they will work. ;-)

What I know will work is - take back-up of '/home' and wherever you have
data, reinstall entire OS without re-formatting '/home'. Put back any
data missing :-)

Best way would have been to take back-ups before tinkering with the
'/boot' filesystem. But it is easier to see that in hind-sight....

  </snips>

Shortcutted all the posts to say a big thank you. Rejy
Backed up all my directories then  did a fresh install over the previous
Fedora 19 LVM but did not reformat /home.
Had a bit of a problem getting Grub in the Ubuntu boot to find the new
kernel, fixed that and
WOW ! it's all there , everything works, It's all back as it was but
with a fresh install.
I'm typing this in the re installed Fedora 19.
Regards
Roger