evince

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:51:48 UTC 2013

On 2 December 2013 00:03, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 12-1-13 17:03:07 David wrote:
>>> That has been discussed to the ends of the universe. He and several

Agreed, I didn't think Patrick's email at all warranted complaint
except for the purposes of stirring this up again. Anyone with advice
on making sure the wine MS symbols fount gets ignored by evince will
be making a bigger contribution than all of us discussing this
combined.

> Else? 'The Dummy's System' appears to work for now. Which I would think
> is what us 'average dummy users' want. Something that works without
> smoke, mirrors, spells and incantations.  :-)

The truth is the old system is quite simple, worked for years
(decades) and involves no smoke or mirrors. It meant people could
adjust subject lines mid-thread to indicate 'solved', fix a typo or
indicate the topic had changed slightly. Google decided to ignore it
when they put together their own webmail threading (those interested
can look back to early complaints about it missing from the threading
feature when they introduced it). Now a feature of their webmail (and
other clients) breaks it for other people too. A few people have said
how difficult it would be to work out if the subject change was
sufficient to start a new thread, the answer is simply, it's never. A
reply to a thread is part of that thread, a new email is a new email.
If that isn't straightforward I don't know what is. But now we have a
situation where threading may or may not work and if you change a
title it will certainly break it for *someone*.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk