optimal(?) layout of fedora 19 with one SSD drive and one regular HD?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Dec 2 21:50:27 UTC 2013

>   i'm about to install f19 new on an ASUS G74S laptop with:
>
> * primary 240G SSD drive
> * secondary 750G regular HD
>
> as well as 16G RAM

I have been running a similar configuration for 18 months
on a laptop (256GB, 500GB, 16GB).

>   as i see i, first, if i want LVM, i want to restrict it to the
> second drive. i don't see much value in LVM on the SSD, and i
> certainly don't want to have a single volume group spanning both
> drives as that just gives LVM the opportunity to create LVs mixing
> SSD and non-SSD PVs, and i'm pretty sure i want to avoid that.

Even with a single VG on both drives, you can specify where
your LVs must go. And you can move them in any moment (pvmove).

>   so, as a first impression, i'm tempted to partition the SSD
> drive using standard partitions:
>
> * small /dev/sda1 for /boot

Ok.

> * another small regular partition for swap?

Not too small. Go for 25GB, so you can suspend to disk at SSD speeds.

> * remainder for root partition, with the understanding that anything
> under root that represents constant activity will be partitioned
> off to the secondary drive.

Basic consideration: if there is constant activity, it IS well
suited to the SSD. Do you want to use your SSD or just keep it
there doing nothing while the disk works?

The paranoia about SSD wearing out is exaggerated.
It can die, ok, but every disk can die. Just backup regularly.

>   so what goes on the second drive? i'd turn it into one PV, and
> define a single VG based on that, then define a number of LVs,
> the biggest one being /home, perhaps 500G. but what else deserves
> to be an LV? i might create a /srv LV for serving content, but what
> about things like /tmp, /var, /run, etc. some are of type tmpfs,
> what should i do with those? if they run totally out of RAM, then
> i don't care. in short, / and /boot aside, what other top-level
> directories merit their own LV on the second drive?

I think /home should be on the SSD (do you want a fast grep
in your files?)
And /tmp and /run are already tmpfs based.
And I don't see a point in relegating just /var to the disk.

My approach has been: everything on the SSD, with the HD being
just a big data repository of big and infrequently accessed files
(media stuff, isos, ...), as a sort of "external disk" which is
always available.

>   and, finally, can i do all of this at install time? i suspect so,
> just want to make sure.

Of course you can.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it