optimal(?) layout of fedora 19 with one SSD drive and one regular HD?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Dec 3 08:02:54 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 12/02/2013 02:23 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Swap on the SSD if you will need to use swap regularly, including if you want faster recovery from sleep. Otherwise put it on the HDD. Make it as big as you plan on memory being in the life of this install so you don't have to figure out how to recreate a bigger one.
>>

> Conventional wisdom used to be that your swap should be twice the size of your RAM.  Has that changed?

Oops, yeah the installer is using this:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/blivet.git/tree/blivet/devicelibs/swap.py

So for most people I suspect swap = memory, but could be either twice memory or half memory.

>> /, /boot, /home can all go on the SSD so they don't even need to be separate partitions. Just make one big partition for all of them.
>
> I'd still suggest putting /home on its own partition, so that it will survive a re-install.  (Of course you have a backup, but doing it this way simplifies things considerably.)

On a smaller drive like an SSD, it can be a fit to then figure out how much space to reserve for /home and / rather than just having that limited space be combined between them, and dealing with /home migration some other time. There's some chance with a reinstall that the layout will change also.

Another approach the blends both, is Btrfs subvolume for /home and /, which means they share the storage pool but are also essentially separate file systems.

Chris Murphy