Can't stand Gnome3, I think it's time for Fedora to move on

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Dec 3 19:41:31 UTC 2013

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 04:44 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 11/22/2013 01:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> You know what you prefer and it is available in the repo.  It shouldn't
>>> matter much to you what the default is.
>> I don't think that's entirely true.  Those of us who use a lot of
>> systems and support others need a reasonably sane set of defaults.
>> We don't want to be in a Windows 8 situation where you can't do
>> anything with a machine before you've spent 20 minutes installing
>> add-ons and changing defaults.
>>
>> Andrew.
> I agree with this as long as it doesn't remove "choice" from the menu, if all of
> a sudden i have no choice but to use, say...LXDE (which I'm not too fond of!)
> then I see us heading down the same path as Windows. but maybe if there was an
> "extra" step in the installer?....like just before you do the reboot into the
> "first boot" screen?...offering you ONLY  like maybe 6 DE's? (Cinnamon / XFCE /
> LXDE / Gnome / MATE / KDE...this way you can install as many machines with the
> same "default" settings with no juggling act to make sure they're all the
> same....sort of a "standard' without the standard overhead!..

The issue is not to offer many, but to offer AT LEAST ONE which runs on dumb
video, so people who can't run gnome have an easy option and will be able to
install another DE without having to try to get GNOME classic without knowing
GNOME, or install from command line. And there should be a WARNING at install
time if the video hardware is questionable, suggesting installing another DE first.

Once you can see the screen you can take it from there, experience is needed
otherwise. I still find about 40-60% of my machines using Radeon or Nvidea will
be more stable with the vendor drivers.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>