optimal(?) layout of fedora 19 with one SSD drive and one regular HD?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Dec 4 11:55:32 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
> If hibernating is going to be a memory dump to hard drive, then the hard
> drive space (it's using the swap file/partition) *needs* to be big
> enough.  Doing something that *might* work, doesn't fit the definition
> of doing what *needs* to be done, to make it work.
>
> Compression isn't always possible.  Attempting to rely on something that
> might work is pretty much guaranteed to bite you on the bum at the time
> you needed it to work.

Then, you must also consider that some swap space could be already used
when you hibernate.
You need to have enough _free_ swap space.

(It happened to me in the past to have to close some applications to fit
the hibernation image into the available swap space, it's annoying,...)

BTW, I'm not sure about compression; I remember a time when tuxonice
supported compression (and saved cache), while the mainline hibernation
did not have compression (and discarded cache).
Maybe things have changed.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it