How to install DVD version from iso on hard drive -

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 6 06:17:38 UTC 2013

On Dec 5, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

>>> Doesn't usually overwrite unless told to.. hope nothing's changes with the install?
>>> roger
>>
>> I thought I knew how to deal with the installer having done it a number of times now but apparently I did something wrong. I updated it too, so I hesitate to re-install. The install was on a separate drive that I had cleared completely. I didn't expect it to wipe out grub, thought it would add the new system. It didn't. Well it really didn't wipe out grub, just created another one. No matter, not what I expected.
>>
>> Bob
>>
> This seems reminiscent of a problem I ran into some months ago.
> I have Fedora 16 on a separate hard drive, Ubuntu 13.04 on mainHD and a partition on that HD for Fedora 19.
> I did something I should not have with Fedora 19, don't remember what. Anyway I used the iso on the usb stick to re install Fedora 19 without overwriting core or home, It rebuilt grub as expected but in doing so also rebuilt the Fedora 16 grub making it unusable plus it seems to have installed a new Fedora 19 somewhere.
> When I get an chance I'll investigate the partitions and LVM to find what is happening.
> I can access Fedora 16 files but cannot boot into it. A salient lesson.

Yet another example of bad multiboot UX and why VM's are so useful. But anyway, if you want to boot Fedora 16, doing this ought to work:

Boot Fedora 19. And then assemble the parts of Fedora 16 at /mnt. So something like this:

1. Make sure the LV's are active with lvscan, using lvchange if necessary.
2. mount the F16 root LV at /mnt
3. mount the F16 boot at /mnt/boot
4. run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

That ought to cause mkconfig to find the F16 installation, its fstsab, and create an entry for it in the F19 grub.cfg. If it doesn't work, from Fedora 19 download bootinfoscript and run it, then post the report somewhere like pastebin.com and post the URL here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Chris Murphy