fdisk/dh -f do not show the SanDisk sdc of and SD reader

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 6 17:02:02 UTC 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 9:25 AM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have fedore 18.
> When I insert an SD reader with an sdc card (SanDisk), I get the
> following messages in syslog (however, fdisk -l or df -h do not show
> the sd device, only one hard disk sata device):

Use lsblk to see if there's in fact still a device node for sdc. And then you can try:

dd if=/dev/sdc count=1 2>/dev/null | hexdump -C

That will report the contents of LBA 0, a.k.a. the MBR.

What device did the SD card come from and how big is it? Is it SD or SDXC? The SDXC spec makes exFAT the volume format for these cards, which is proprietary. There are one or two floss projects that enable support for exFAT. But when I do a yum search, I get no results. I don't have rpmfusion or any 3rd party repos enabled, however. So I'd look there.

Chris Murphy