Applications looking up the own computer name are blocked for several seconds

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 10:42:55 UTC 2013

Hi Sam,

> The app tries a DNS lookup for "user-pc". The domain gets appended from
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> dhclient does update /etc/resolv.conf from dhcp, but it's been doing that
> for quite a while. That hasn't changed, and your real issue is the slow DNS
> response.
>
> Doing an strace should tell you which DNS server gets queried, but it's
> probably your router acting as a DNS forwarder; and the real issue becomes
> why your router takes several seconds to return a DNS response.

Actually, for looking up my own hostname no DNS query should be needed at all.
I've just checked - even in case it really is a configuration issue
within the network - Windows7 just copes fine with it

So I wonder, shouldn't the DNS code in glibc simply detect the lookup
in this case is localhost (as Windows DNS implementation does
obiously)?

Regards, Clemens