fedup 18->19 and GRUB upgrade several seconds

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Dec 8 17:42:19 UTC 2013

On Dec 8, 2013, at 3:56 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem at iabyn.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 04:35:28PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> I'm currently preparing to fedup an F18 system to F19, looking at these
>> instructions:
>>
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/ch18s02.html
>>
>> The bit about updating the GRUB bootloader has got gotten me confused.
>> My system is a newish x86_64 laptop, with F18 as the only thing on it,
>> installed from scratch (no upgrades etc).
>>
>> The instructions say to look in  /var/log/anaconda/anaconda.program.log
>> where you'll find a command similar to
>>
>>    efibootmgr -c -w -L Fedora -d /dev/sdX -p Y -l \EFI\redhat\grub.efi
>>
>> then later on, run
>>
>>    efibootmgr -c -w -L Fedora -d /dev/sdX -p Y -l '\EFI\fedora\grubx64.efi' -b bootnumber
>>
>> Now, the command I see in the anaconda log is in fact:
>>
>>    efibootmgr -c -w -L Fedora -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l \EFI\fedora\shim.efi
>>
>> This differs from the example in the docs by '-p 1' verses '-p Y' and
>> 'shim.efi' verses 'grub.efi'.
>>
>> So, what values should I give for the -p and -l options?
>>
>> Also, its not entirely clear what 'bootnumber' value for the -b arg should
>> be; should this the same number as used to delete the old boot entry in
>> the previous step?
>
> No feedback so far. Anyone?

The Y in the instructions, I think, is intended to be a variable because it can differ. what you want is the one with 1. However, running this command in shell compared to from anaconda, \E is still an E so you actually need to use two backslashes.

efibootmgr -c -w -L Fedora -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l \\EFI\\fedora\\shim.efi

To confirm you can use

efibootmgr -v

Chris Murphy