usb disk, in reverse?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Dec 9 02:20:50 UTC 2013

On Dec 8, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> FAT32 isn't useful for mass storage of video files because of its 4GB file size limit. And exFAT/FAT64 is not only patent encumbered, but it also uses only one FAT so it's actually less resilient in the face of any kind of corruption, and isn't intended for this use case.
>>
>> They should probably use NTFS instead.
>
> Oh really? I must have imagined then my 8GB and 16GB flash drives
> formatted as FAT32.

I'm uncertain why you think you've imagined it. FAT32 supports 2TB volume sizes for 512byte sector media. Repairing them is fairly straightforward, although it takes longer than with a journaled file system. While not yet cross platform like FAT32, f2fs is shaping up to be a better alternative for SD and USB flash media.

> And my TDT STB recording to it and splitting the
> recording into several 4GB files seamlessly. ;-)

Great, you have something that's able to work around the file size limitation, in which case use FAT32.

> None of the TVs I have with USB ports support NTFS, one does exFAT,
> the other doesn't, only supports FAT32.

Right, your user choice is being limited by what is essentially proprietary hardware - the TVs. But also unfortunate timing, in that there haven't been significantly better alternatives to FAT32 that address resilience, volume size, and file size limitations.

If the TVs mount either filesystem read-only, I'd be more tolerant of their use for this use case. And maybe they do this already. Offhand I'm not thinking why a TV would need mount media as read-write.

> Samsung releases its ExFAT driver under the GPLv2
> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1khncp/samsung_releases_exfat_under_the_gpl/

There are still open questions on its legal status as indicated in your own link.

Chris Murphy