auto-mounting removable drives

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 9 04:07:37 UTC 2013

Hello:

I am running F19 xfce on a 32bit box (fully updated at the time of this
test)

I have "Applications Menu -> Settings -> Removable Drives and Media" open

Under "Removable Storage":
     [checked] Mount removable drives when hot-plugged
     [checked] Mount removable drives when inserted
     [checked] Browse removable media when inserted
     [not checked] Auto-run programs on new drives and media
     [not checked] Auto-open files on new drives and media

Nothing else is checked on this or all the other tabs.

Whether I hot-plug a memory stick into the computer or plug it in before
powering on, it never mounts the volume until I manually go to the icon
on the desktop and tell it to "please go mount yourself"

Am I not understanding the options under "Settings -> Removable Storage"?

I first encountered this in F16 under xfce but figured I wasn't
understanding something as I had just switched from F14 gnome where I
could hot-plug

I have three Linux boxes and it doesn't auto mount on any of them, so I
am not thinking it is a hardware problem to a particular machine.

This also happens with cd/dvd when inserted ... have to manually "please
go mount yourself" (and, yes, the phraseology is intentional as I am
rather frustrated by this)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Paul