auto-mounting removable drives

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 9 21:11:36 UTC 2013

On 12/9/13 8:15 AM, poma wrote:
> On 09.12.2013 05:07, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am running F19 xfce on a 32bit box (fully updated at the time of this
>> test)
>>
>> I have "Applications Menu -> Settings -> Removable Drives and Media" open
>>
>> Under "Removable Storage":
>>       [checked] Mount removable drives when hot-plugged
>>       [checked] Mount removable drives when inserted
>>       [checked] Browse removable media when inserted
>>       [not checked] Auto-run programs on new drives and media
>>       [not checked] Auto-open files on new drives and media
>>
>> Nothing else is checked on this or all the other tabs.
>>
>> Whether I hot-plug a memory stick into the computer or plug it in before
>> powering on, it never mounts the volume until I manually go to the icon
>> on the desktop and tell it to "please go mount yourself"
>>
>> Am I not understanding the options under "Settings -> Removable Storage"?
>>
>> I first encountered this in F16 under xfce but figured I wasn't
>> understanding something as I had just switched from F14 gnome where I
>> could hot-plug
>>
>> I have three Linux boxes and it doesn't auto mount on any of them, so I
>> am not thinking it is a hardware problem to a particular machine.
>>
>> This also happens with cd/dvd when inserted ... have to manually "please
>> go mount yourself" (and, yes, the phraseology is intentional as I am
>> rather frustrated by this)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice
>> Paul
>>
> http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/preferences#advanced_preferences
> - Volume Management
> $ xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management
> $ xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management -s true
>

> poma

Poma:

Thanks for reply.

Volume management is checked on as the link you provided shows

Running the command "xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management"
returns the following:

Property "misc-volume-management" does not exist on channel "thunar".

The package thunar-volman is already installed on my machine (0.8.0-4.fc19).

The only other thing I can spot in your link is reference to HAL. When I
hunt around to find out information, I come across the following on the
xfce site for thunar-volman: " HAL is undergoing deprecation at the
moment. All major distributions push for the removal of HAL in favor of
DeviceKit-disks/udisk, DeviceKit-power/upower and udev"
(http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/thunar-volman-udev). Everything I can see on
this implies the transition as 2009 to 2010 range.

The other response from Dale suggested that I take it to the xfce
general discussion site (which I intend to do after seeing if I get any
more info here).

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for to better understand the
problem?

Thanks,
Paul