failed updates

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 00:41:20 UTC 2013

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> Allegedly, on or about 07 December 2013, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht sent:
>> I do see that on my IPv6 systems whenever the stupid Netgear 3700v4
>> router craps out after 2-4 days uptime and needs a reboot.  The Fedora
>> machinery thinks IPv6 still works, but the packets never make it past
>> the router
>
> Ever tried getting Netgear to replace the faulty product?  Just
> wondering what their response would be...

I do like the hardware (128 MByte Dram, 128 MByte Flash).  That's the
highest by far that I've been able to find in a cheap $80 router.  It
should allow for some pretty elaborate features.  I was hoping that one
of the open-source firmwares (dd-wrt, open-wrt, etc) would be available
for it soon.

As to getting the Netgear firmware fixed, I understand that the
technical people behind the Comcast IPv6 setup are looking into the
problem with Netgears.  It spans the whole product line.  Something goes
wrong with the dhclient asking for a prefix delegation.  The first one
happens just fine but the renewal never happens.  I suspect that Netgear
is going to listen to Comcast with their millions of customers much more
closely than little ol' me.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28719812-IPv6-ipv6-stops-working-after-a-few-days

-wolfgang