usb disk, in reverse?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Dec 11 04:19:32 UTC 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:27 PM, John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net> wrote:

> My Western Digital Media box exports a CIFS filesystem that I mount on my Fedora box, works great, faster than a locally connected USB disk.

Neat. The chances of a consumer product hosing the file system of the storage media is far reduced with a network file sharing protocol as a buffer. And ext3 is definitely better than FAT32 or exFAT when it comes to repairability. Yeah we should have backups, so we're told. But realistically, people often don't do this, and the penalty is disproportionate when a contraption that ought to be a good citizen ends up face planting and taking our data with it.

I do sorta have a bone to pick with the camera vendors who have ignored this problem. I know way too many people who have lost photos because of this. A whole legion of recovery tools has been created to mitigate it. It's to the point that media vendors use the availability of recovery tools in their marketing info to get consumers to buy their brand of storage media!

Chris Murphy